The Saint-Jean chapel with colorful frescoes
The Saint-Jean Chapel was built in 1674 and then destroyed by a hurricane in 1925. In 1959, the chapel was given new life thanks to the parish priest of Tourettes-sur-Loup, the canon Viale.
Fundraising and restoration
With the help of donations from the city’s citizens and after reconstruction, the restored chapel was inaugurated on October 18, 1959.
The walls have been restored since 2005 and adorned with frescoes by the artist Ralph Soupault.
The paintings represent the life and landscapes of Tourettes-sur-Loup as well as biblical scenes from both the New and Old Testaments.
By Tommy Sverre / 2020