Virtually all Provencal villages have a laundry room
The wash-houses have their own history, which dates back to the 19th century and testifies to the challenges of the time with pandemics, which in Europe alone killed more than 5 million people in the 19th century.
This wash-house was originally built in 1811, rebuilt several times and its current appearance dates from 1861.
It is a long covered wash-house that got water from the Fontaine du Lavoir right next door.
A long canal brings the water over a distance of about 10 meters. The sides of the canal are slightly sloping inwards, so that the water from the laundry ran back into the canal.
It is said that there was always a battle for the best positions along the canal. Those closest to the top enjoyed the purest water, while those at the bottom had to be content with water that was dirty from those higher up.
The wash-houses were most often located on the outskirts of the city center and are today preserved as a cultural reminder of the hygienic challenges of the time.
Read the background story about the wash-houses here.
- Churches & chapels
Hike Vence – Baou des Blancs
The hike from the center of Vence to the top of Baou des Blancs is a stunningly beautiful and varied trip all year round. When the summit is reached, the reward is a fabulous view.
Hike to Saint-Paul de Vence
This hike to Saint-Paul de Vence from the center of Vence is neither too long nor too strenuous, but rather beautiful and cozy.
Saint Elisabeth chapel
Saint Elisabeth chapel in Vence impresses with its rediscovered fresco paintings by Giovanni Canavesio, and its history dates back to the 14th century.
Ranch El Bronco
Horseback riding and hiking from the top of the Col de Vence – for both beginners and experienced.
The markets in Vence
A visit to the markets in Vence is a must if you really want to feel the character and authenticity of the city.
The Museum of Vence
The Musée de Vence / Fondation Émile Hugues is situated in the heart of the historic city center and is among the very popular sights on the Côte d’Azur.
Here in the middle of the old medieval town of Vence you will find France’s smallest cathedral. Usually one expects cathedrals to be large and impressive…
The Peyra fountain
It stands in the city’s most idyllic square and has been watered from the Foux spring since its birth in 1822.
Viewpoint – F. Moutet
From near and far you can see the Baou Mountains rising majestically on the horizon. Depending on from where one looks at the mountains, they assume different…
Dedicated to the Polish master writer Witold Gombrowitz and beautifully situated in Villa Alexandrine.
Chapel Pénitents Blancs
This chapel is the largest and most interesting chapel in Vence. Centrally located, just a few hundred meters from Place Grand Jardin, on the ancient Roman road to Castallane…
Rosary Chapel by Matisse
The Rosary Chapel by Matisse is together with the cathedral in the old town Vence’s biggest attraction and one of Henri Matisse’s greatest masterpieces.
- Churches & chapels
The Collegial Church
The 17th century marked the golden age of the church in Saint-Paul de Vence. Here, in 1666 the church was raised to the rank of Collegial Church by the bishop Antoine Godeau of Vence
The Cemetery of Saint-Paul de Vence
The cemetery of Saint-Paul de Vence is one of the most visited cemeteries on the Côte d’Azur – here rests several celebrities – including Chagall, Escoffier & Maeght.
Célestin Freinet school
The famous schoolteacher and educator Célestin Freinet (1896-1966) taught in Saint-Paul de Vence between 1928 and 1933.
The Folon chapel – The White Penitents
Experience the admirable Folon Chapel, a design work of Jean-Michel Folon and learn more about an artist who had strong ties to Saint-Paul de Vence for over thirty years.
Walk along the western rampart
“Henri Layet discovery walk” – this is a wonderful little walk on a recently created path that runs along the western side of the city.
The Maeght Fondation art museum
The Maeght Fondation art museum welcomes more than 100,000 visitors in a unique architectural building designed by Josep Lluis Sert.