The Black Penitents in Menton
This chapel was built by order of Prince Honoré II of Monaco in 1639 and handed over to the Brotherhood “The Black Penitents”.
The altar in the chapel attracts the most attention, having been done as a “marqueterie”. It is a special form of craft where a kind of veneer is applied as decoration.
Here the artist has decorated the altar with a mosaic with inlays of walnut and orange wood in different tones.
The doors of the altar are made of thuja, the frames of ivory, the columns of rosewood, the statues of jujube, and other parts of ebony.
By Tommy Sverre / 2020